20121027

Sometimes The Best Choice Is To Not Choose

There are few things better than a good night's sleep. I have to admit that who to vote for has wakened me on several nights recently, in prayer as to whom to pray for, and peace to vote for the best candidate. The trouble is the peace simply didn't come in who to vote for, as much as it came in the decision to not vote in the 2012 election.

Many arguments are made about thousands who have given their lives for me to have the right to vote. The Suffragette Movement of women taking to the streets remind me of this great privilege they fought for women to have. Voting is a civil right, as thousands took to the streets in the 1960s to gain this privilege for all Americans, no matter their race, creed or color.

But the key terms here are right and privilege. While I am extremely grateful for the right and the privilege to be a part of the voting process, I also have the right and privilege to acknowledge, by not voting, that the candidates running for office have agendas and concerns that on some level affect who I am as an Evangelical Christian.

It's all been spelled out by media pundits what the character flaws are in each candidate so I won't belabor the point. Obama's moral stance on abortion and gay marriage kept me from voting for him in 2008. Nothing's changed. I thought for a while Romney might be a better candidate, but, he seems to have inconsistencies in his campaign that affects my peace about casting a vote for him as well.

So, I will exercise something greater than my right to vote, and that is to cast fervent prayers before God that He allows in office the candidate that will guide America in the best direction for the people. As I write this, a hurricane is barreling toward America's shores, already leaving in its path devastation and death. I've lived through a few hurricanes in my lifetime and know how unsettling a storm can be. Perhaps America, God is giving us fair warning; a reminder of sorts, that His Word is Truth, and altering it for our own agendas may not be best for us in the long run.

Be blessed. Pray before you vote, should you decide to do so. To be true to your conscience is to be true to yourself. At the end of the day, you will have to live with your decision. If you don't have peace, it is better to not vote and let God choose; than to violate your conscience by bowing to the peer pressure of others to just vote.

I live in a very Red state, and based on the way the electoral college is set up, always feel like in elections as close as this, my vote is wasted. A lot of people sense this to be true. America really needs to move to the popular vote, and until then, I won't waste precious time if I don't have a candidate I truly support and believe will make the nation better for the 99%.

Both of these candidates seem very Presidential. I trust whichever one wins will represent America, well, presidentially. But, which one has God deemed best? I trust I'll know in a few days after the votes are counted, and the "people" have spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback.